English For Teaching - TESOL (TKT)
The University of Auckland English Language Academy (ELA) offers a full time English for Teaching-TESOL (TKT) course in preparation for the Cambridge Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT) and TKT Practical Test. The English for Teaching-TESOL (TKT) is a 10-week programme designed to enhance students’ English language awareness and ability, and to prepare them for the Cambridge Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT) and TKT Practical Test. The programme provides students with a comprehensive grounding in the English language and teaching skills required to become a communicative teacher of English.
Why English for Teaching?
- Enhance your own English language ability through language development sessions covering all aspects of English
- Gain a deeper knowledge of English and the teaching of English by participating in small teaching practice groups, peer teaching and feedback sessions
- Learn to teach English communicatively from highly experienced and qualified TESOL trainers
- Experience real teaching practice equipped with the latest methodology and best practice for language learning and teaching
- Observe ELA’s best teachers in action with 10 hours of live observations
- Take part in advanced level language workshops with other ELA students
- Prepare for both the written and practical examinations with intensive exam study and guidance from our trainers
- Enjoy the use of our resources and the ELA Study Centre for self-directed study
- Receive internationally recognised certificates from Cambridge ESOL for TKT Modules 1, 2 and 3 and the TKT Practical Examination
Why a Ten Week Programme?
This approach offers numerous advantages over more traditional shorter 4 or 5-week programmes:
- More focus on your own language development in grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and the four skills of speaking, reading, listening and speaking
- More enhancement of your own language ability
- More time to practice communicative approaches to teaching
- More time to observe and learn from expert experienced trainers
- More time to prepare for the TKT exams and greater chance of success
- More enjoyment of the whole experience
Recommended ages: 18+
The English for Teaching - TESOL (TKT) course is designed for candidates who
- Are looking to improve their language ability: grammar and vocabulary, and speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- Have little or no previous English language teaching experience or teaching experience but little formal training
- Are not native English speakers
- Would like international recognized TKT certificates from Cambridge ESOL
The total hours of study:
- 200 contact hours with highly qualified and experienced teacher trainers
- 10 hours of live observations of experienced ELA teachers
- 10 hours of English language workshops
- 100 hours of self-directed study
- 50 hours for assignments
- TKT Modules 1, 2 and 3 Written Examination
- TKT Practical Examination
The Cambridge Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT)
The course ends with the Cambridge TKT Module 1, 2 and 3 examination and TKT Practical test. Each of the core modules consists of a multiple choice test of 80 questions, lasting 80 minutes. The practical test takes the format of 40 minutes of assessed teaching practice. The tests cover:
- Language and background to language learning and teaching
- Planning lessons and use of resources for language teaching
- Managing the teaching and learning process
- Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL)
- Knowledge about Language (KAL)
- Classroom management and teaching skills
This solid grounding in teaching is a well-respected qualification that is internationally recognised.
NZ$4950 includes text book and examination fee for TKT Module 1,2,3 and TKT Practical
*Fees are subject to change.
Course Dates 2013 & 2014
Duration: 10 Weeks Full-time
Start Dates: 23 September 2013, 22 September 2014
Exam Dates: 2 December 2013
Application & Requirements
Applicants do not have to be native speakers of English, but must have an excellent all-round command of English. Applicants need to have a minimum level of English corresponding to Upper Intermediate or the equivalent IELTS (Academic) 5.0 overall, with no less than 5 in writing. The IELTS test score must be not more than 12 months old from the course commencement date. All applicants will take a placement test at the ELA prior to commencement as part of the orientation programme. Please note that this course can only be offered if there is a minimum number of students.
Please click on the "Apply Now" button if you have a valid IELTS test result to apply.
If you don't have a valid IELTS test result, you may apply for this course by taking the ELA Online Level Test as the first out of three simple steps. Please see below the three simple steps.
Take the ELA Online Level Test (Test result will determine if you are at the recommended level to apply for the course and to proceed to Step 2)
Once you have achieved the programme entry level (Upper Intermediate or above), you will be required to contact the Course Coordinator by email which will be provided on your Online Level Test result message. The Course Coordinator will send you an application form together with further instructions and a Writing test, which should be hand written and scanned for submission.
When you have passed the Writing test, the Course Coordinator will contact you by telephone to complete the application process with a telephone interview. You will be notified instantly after the interview if you have been offered a place in the English for Teaching - TESOL (TKT) course.
Please click here to find English for Teaching – TESOL (TKT) Sample Week & Student Testimonials
Please click here to watch our recent TESOL students experiences
For further enquiries, please contact the Course Coordinator by email at email@example.com
- 2013 ELA Student Enrolment Form (153kb)
- TKT Application form 2013 (For TKT Test Candidate ONLY) (566kb)
- Summary regulations for TKT candidates (911kb)
- Information for TKT all modules (2mb)
- TKT Band Descriptors (17kb)
- Information for TKT Candidates (409kb)
- Sample Week & Student Testimonials (86kb)
- English for Teaching - TESOL TKT Course Flyer 2013 (578kb)
Contact Your Local AgentClick here to find a local agent for enrolment assistance.
You are welcome to call us from Monday to Friday, between 8am-5:30pm New Zealand time. Our dedicated staff will assist you with your enquiry.