Academic English equips students with the skills needed to cope with university studies, including note-taking, academic report and essay writing, exam preparation, presentation skills and communication techniques. This course is available in four modules and runs full-time in ten-week blocks. Students can personalise half of their study time by focusing on either IELTS or university preparation skills.
Academic English covers the following skills:
- Writing: academic styles, essay structures, paragraph writing, introductions and conclusions, cohesive devices, summary writing, editing, writing reports, academic conventions, and academic genres.
- Listening and Reading: speed reading strategies, patterns of organisation, making local and global inferences, note taking, strategies to cope with unknown vocabulary, summarising main ideas, listening for stressed words and phrases, and synthesising.
- Vocabulary/Language: academic vocabulary, prefixes and suffixes, review grammar tenses, focus on correct spelling, focus on grammatical accuracy, and variation in sentence patterns.
- Speaking and Research: formal oral presentations, use of PowerPoint, referencing, and research strategies.
Successful completion of Module 3 or 4 enables direct entry to the University of Auckland Certificate in Foundation Studies at ACG or the Taylors Auckland Foundation Year (AFY) programme, subject to provider approval.
- Module 1: A score in the Placement Test equivalent to Academic IELTS 4.0 with Reading and Writing bands 4.0
- Module 2: A score in the Placement Test equivalent to Academic IELTS 4.5 with Reading and Writing bands 4.5
- Module 3: A score in the Placement Test equivalent to Academic IELTS 5.0 with Reading and Writing bands 5.0
- Module 4: A score in the Placement Test equivalent to Academic IELTS 5.5 with Reading and Writing bands 5.5
Grace Tandipayuk, ELA Student:
"The ELA is the University of Auckland's only English language school, so the quality is high and the location on campus is great. It's really helpful to be so connected to the University."
Dates and FeesClick here for information on our programme dates and fees.
Contact Your Local AgentClick here to find a local agent for enrolment assistance.
You are welcome to call us from Monday to Friday, between 8am-5:30pm New Zealand time. Our dedicated staff will assist you with your enquiry.