The ELA is part of the University of Auckland, which is ranked in the world’s top 100 universities and the highest-ranked university in New Zealand.*
* QS World University Rankings 2018.
Meet, make friends and learn English with people from around the world.
Each year the ELA welcomes students from over 35 countries into our English language courses.
Facilities and Support
Get the support you need to learn and have fun including:
- Dedicated student services team offering pastoral care
- Study Centre, open 6 days a week and manned by a qualified English language teacher on weekdays
- Computing facilities equipped with learning technology
- Help with arriving in Auckland and finding accommodation
- Exciting social, sporting, and cultural activities
Learn from highly qualified and experienced teachers.
- The ELA employs qualified and experienced teachers who are all dedicated to helping you reach your goals.
- ELA teachers use a communicative language teaching approach, where interaction and communication are the main aims of study. Lessons involve active learning through pair and group work, in which teachers facilitate communication and provide you with every opportunity to practice your language skills.
Direct Entry Pathways
Meet the English language requirements for entry to programmes at the University of Auckland and some other New Zealand tertiary institutions. Our pathway courses include: