Academic English will help you improve your English language skills to prepare you for study success at university.This course provides you with opportunities to develop your independent learning strategies and individual needs in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
This course has 4 levels: EAP Intro, EAP1, EAP 2, EAP3. Each level has two sessions of lessons every day as per below:
EAP Intro : Academic English (session 1) + IELTS or university study skills (session 2)
EAP1: Academic English (session 1) + IELTS or university preparation skills (session 2)
EAP 2: Academic English (session 1) + IELTS or university preparation skills (session 2)
EAP3: Academic English (session 1) + IELTS or university preparation skills (session 2)
If you wish to improve your IELTS band scores, you may choose:
- Academic English (session 1) + IELTS (session 2)
- Take an IELTS test upon completion of the course at ELA's official IELTS Test Centre.
If you wish to improve your English for future tertiary studies, you may choose:
- Academic English (session 1) + university preparation skills (session 2)
You will develop the language and academic skills to help you progress to the next level of English, move to one of our pathway courses, or transition to your destination programme.
A course for students interested in studying General English prior to their Academic English course can be arranged.
Students can take more than one block of 10 weeks depending on their needs. Each block is 10 weeks; except Summer School, which is 7 weeks.
200 hours; Plus optional workshops available in Blocks 1 - 4 (January - November)
- You will be tested on your first day to determine your class level. There are four levels of English for Academic Purposes (EAP) offered, from Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level B1 to B2+ to C1. For progression to the next level, you need to achieve the required grade in the course. Further details on CEFR levels can be found at: www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams-and-tests/cefr/
- A recent IELTS score may be given as evidence of level, but if there is a significant difference between the placement test score and the IELTS score, the Academic English manager will determine the appropriate level for the student.
- If you are below the level required for Introduction to English for Academic Purposes (EAP Intro), your enrolment will be changed to the General English course to build your language foundations.
Academic English English Levels
*Please note electives are dependent on student numbers.
$5,055 /10 weeks (200 hours)
*Other fees may apply
- Depending on your English level, you will either be placed in a morning or afternoon session. Please click here for an example timetable.
- Students repeating the course need to confirm their place with the Enrolments Manager no later than the first day of the course.
Students must pay the tuition fees for their Study Programme to ELA at least four (4) weeks prior to the commencement of their Study Programme, except in the following case: Students from the People’s Republic of China are not permitted to pay the tuition fees before INZ has granted “Student Visa Approval in Principle”
Please note students taking Academic English will need to have their own device, i.e. laptop or tablet.
Hear from our Academic English students
Ahmed (Saudi Arabia) successfully completed his course in Academic English. He especially enjoyed the activities and friendly staff at the ELA while improving his English for university studies.