English for Engineering
English for Specific Academic Purposes (Engineering) is a 2 week online course. It is intended for learners of English who study Engineering at university and who want to develop their English skills for doing project work in groups, writing up reports and presenting the results of projects.
The aim of this course is to develop students’ knowledge of language for interacting with others in group work, the genres of project reports and presentations. The course also seeks to extend students’ language skills in order to improve the accuracy of their writing and speaking.
Classes will include:
- A wide range of online/offline learning interactions; discussion forums, pair and group work in ‘breakout rooms’, and shared document collaboration in small classes.
- Individualised tutoring and feedback on progress at different points of the course with easy access to virtual academic counselling by appointment.
- Modern and quality tested study platforms via Zoom and Canvas (our learning management system) to ensure a fully integrated learning experience.
- Insights into project management with guest speaker Professor Garry Miller from the Faculty of Engineering
By the end of this course students will be able to:
- Use formulaic expressions for participating in a group project.
- Write an appropriately structured report for an engineering project.
- Deliver a clear group presentation about a project they have completed.
- Use a sufficient range of grammatical and lexical structures with a relatively high degree of control and accuracy in an individual presentation (i.e. to a minimum B1/ level of proficiency).
2022 Course Dates
Monday 17 January - Friday 28 January 2022
To register your interest, or to make an enquiry, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To enrol for English for Engineering you need to:
- Have an Academic IELTS of 5.0 or higher, or equivalent.
- Be a University Engineering student or be planning to study engineering
Please note this is a sample timetable only.
Upcoming course dates and fees information can be found HERE.
- Classes are online from 1pm - 5:15pm NZT Monday - Friday
Please note students will need to have their own device, i.e. laptop or tablet, and classes will be held online using a combination of Zoom and Canvas (ELA's learning management system)