English for Teaching - TESOL (TKT)
English for Teaching - TESOL (TKT) is designed to prepare you for a globally recognised certificate in English language teaching. The course is ideal for non-native English speakers without or little formal teaching experience.
Key skills gained from the course:
• Awareness of language and the background to language learning and teaching
• Familiarity with different teaching methodologies for language learning
• Knowledge of lesson planning and the use of resources for language teaching
• Awareness of effective classroom management techniques
Students who study English for Teaching - TESOL (TKT) at ELA can benefit from:
• Observing ELA’s highly experienced teachers in live teaching sessions
• Participating in regular conversation clubs to improve English speaking confidence.
• The use of ELA Study Centre with extensive range of teaching resources, computing and printing facilities for self-directed study.
• Registering for the Cambridge TKT test at ELA’s test centre located on the same premise.
2020 Course length and dates
4 weeks; 80 hours
10 weeks; 200 hours
16 March – 9 April (4 weeks)
2 June – 26 June (4 weeks)
14 September – 20 November (10 weeks)
The ELA offers a 4-week and 10-week course to suit your academic and commitment needs:
4 weeks: The 4-week TKT preparation course prepares you for Modules 1, 2 and 3 of the TKT exam. Ideal for students who would like to learn about the best practices for English language teaching and prepare for the TKT test.
10 weeks: The 10-week English for Teaching - TESOL (TKT) course not only prepares you for the TKT exam, but offers authentic teaching practice and a practical assessment. Ideal for students who would like to further develop English language skills, conduct real-life teaching sessions and prepare for the TKT test.
To be eligible for English for Teaching TESOL (TKT), students need to meet the following English language entry requirements:
ELA: Minimum Upper Intermediate level (CEFR level B2) as determined by an ELA test
IELTS: 5.0 overall, with no less than 5.5 in writing band
* The IELTS score must have been issued within 12 months of the course commencement date
If you don't have a valid IELTS test result, you can apply as follows:
Take the online level test (this will determine if you are Upper-Intermediate level)
Contact the Course Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org. You will then receive an application form together with further instructions and a Writing test, which should be hand-written, scanned, and submitted.
The Course Coordinator will contact you for an interview. You will be notified after the interview whether you have been offered a place on the course. Acceptance onto the course is subject to the interview and placement test results.
Upon acceptance into the course, please register for your TKT Test by completing this application form. Registrations close 7th August 2019.
*Please note that this course will run subject to a minimum number of students.
2020: $2,150 (4 weeks) / $5,190 (10 weeks)
*Please note TKT test price is not included in the tuition fee.
“This course was perfect for me as it was an introduction to the teaching world. They provide you with teaching techniques so you can develop your own skills. By doing a lot of classroom activities, I learnt how to create my own lesson plans and developed my classroom management skills, which was very important.The teaching practice is really rewarding when you can give a good class, and you feel that your students are able to improve their English. If you really want to become a teacher one day this is the first step.”