English Pathway for Postgraduate Studies (EPPS)
EPPS is suitable if you have met the academic requirements for postgraduate study at the University of Auckland, but have narrowly missed the English language requirements.
This pathway ensures you gain the English proficiency and academic literacy needed for postgraduate and doctoral courses. Successfully completing the EPPS course with the required grade for your academic study programme will meet the English language requirements for entry to the University of Auckland.
For the duration of 2020 and 2021 this course is being offered online (as well as face to face for students in New Zealand).
Book a free demonstration lesson of this course HERE.
10 weeks (an accelerated 7-week EPPS is available in November, and the EPPS for Business Masters runs in June)
23 November – 22 January 2021 (7 weeks)
25 January – 1 April 2021 (10 weeks)
12 April – 18 June 2021 (10 weeks)
28 June – 3 September 2021 (10 weeks)
13 September – 19 November 2021 (10 weeks)
22 November – 21 January 2022 (7 weeks)
The ELA is committed to the continuation of your English language learning during this challenging Covid-19 period. To support your study goals, the ELA is pleased to offer English Pathway for Postgraduate Studies (EPPS) online. Until the end of 2020, English Pathway for Postgraduate Studies (EPPS) is available online (as well as resuming face to face classes once permitted by the New Zealand government)*.
Online EPPS classes are mix of offline activities such as discussion forum posting, and live interactive Zoom sessions on course work topics between students and tutors. Zoom sessions can sometimes be one-to-one or small group tutorials in addition to whole class activities. Your classes are from 1pm to 5.15pm NZT for all levels.
Technology and other learning requirements:
• Laptop or PC with Microsoft Word or other document producing capabilities and functional webcam. This is essential for Academic English and Pathway courses
• Headset/ear phones/microphone for listening/speaking/recording purposes
• Stable internet connection (recommended speed of 3Mbps)
• Designated quiet study space especially required for completing assignments/assessments
Find out why you should study an online university English pathway course with us HERE.
Frequently asked questions about our online English courses HERE.
* Disclaimer: If student numbers do not allow us to run a completely online or face-to-face class, then a hybrid class may need to be run. A hybrid class is one which is made up of a combination of both face to face and online students where one teacher leads both students online and face-to-face may have to be run.
To be eligible for EPPS, students must:
- Hold a conditional offer of place from the University of Auckland
- Meet the IELTS score requirements below as based on the score needed for your postgraduate programme. IELTS Indicator can also be accepted during 2020 and 2021 until further notice.
*The Academic IELTS score must have been issued within 2 years and 6 months of the EPPS commencement date. Please note this is a temporary extension from 2 years due to the Covid-19 situation.
Please note all online classes are from 1pm to 5.15pm NZT for all levels.
- Students may commence their studies no later than the Friday of the first week of the course.
- No late starts are allowed for Summer School – students must begin on the Monday of the first week of the course.
- Students must pay the tuition fees for their Study Programme to ELA at least four (4) weeks prior to the commencement of their Study Programme, except in the following case: Students from the People’s Republic of China are not permitted to pay the tuition fees before INZ has granted “Student Visa Approval in Principle”
- Please note students taking a Pathway course will need to have their own device, i.e. laptop or tablet
- Students repeating the course need to confirm their place with the Enrolments Manager no later than the first day of the course.
- Students who have confirmed their place may commence their studies no later than the Friday of the first week of the course
Online EPPS pathway programme
Learning English online comes with many great benefits. Listen to Peter, one of our tutors, as he shares how you can still gain the English skills you need to progress into a New Zealand university with one of our online University English pathway programmes.
Hear from our English university pathway (EPPS) students
Geuchbuoy (Cambodia) completed the EPPS programme and went on to pursue a Postgraduate Diploma in Politics and International Relations at The University of Auckland. Listen to how she found the pathway programme alongside living in New Zealand.