English Pathway for Postgraduate Studies (EPPS)
EPPS (10 weeks) is for students:
who hold a conditional offer for postgraduate study at the University of Auckland or other New Zealand tertiary institutions, and,
who have narrowly missed the English language requirements
Students who successfully complete this programme with the required grade, will meet the English language requirements for university study.
This short intensive programme focuses on developing the language proficiency and academic literacy needed for postgraduate studies through English. Also, students in this programme can have full access to the University of Auckland Library and learning services.
As New Zealand’s border is reopening in stages through 2022, this course is being offered online (as well as at the ELA Learning Hub on our campus at 67 Symonds St).
Book a free demonstration lesson of this course HERE.
10 weeks (an accelerated 7-week1 EPPS is available in November, and the EPPS for Business Masters runs in June)
24 January – 1 April 2022 (10 weeks)
11 April – 17 June 2022 (10 weeks)
27 June – 2 September 2022 (10 weeks)
12 September – 18 November 2022 (10 weeks)
21 November 2022 – 20 January 2023 (7 weeks)
1Due to the Christmas break, the EPPS course commencing in November is typically 7 weeks long, but the course hours remain 200 hours in total.
The ELA is committed to the continuation of your English language learning during this challenging Covid-19 period. To support your study goals, the ELA is pleased to offer English Pathway for Postgraduate Studies (EPPS) online. For the duration of 2021 English Pathway for Postgraduate Studies (EPPS) is available online, as well as face to face for those students who are based in New Zealand1.
Online EPPS classes are a mix of offline activities such as discussion forum posting, and live interactive Zoom sessions on course work topics between students and tutors. Zoom sessions can sometimes be one-to-one or small group tutorials in addition to whole-class activities. Your classes are from 1 pm to 5.15 pm NZT* for all levels.
* PLEASE NOTE: These times are local New Zealand times. NZ daylight saving ends at 3am on Sunday, April 4th (NZ time) and commences again at 2am on Sunday, September 26th. This will affect your lesson times in your home country. Please ensure you adjust your times accordingly - this link will calculate the correct time difference for you - Click here.
Technology and other learning requirements:
• Laptop or PC with Microsoft Word or other document producing capabilities and functional webcam. This is essential for Academic English and Pathway courses
• Headset/ear phones/microphone for listening/speaking/recording purposes
• Stable internet connection (recommended speed of 3Mbps)
• Designated quiet study space especially required for completing assignments/assessments
Find out why you should study an online university English pathway course with us HERE.
Frequently asked questions about our online English courses HERE.
1Disclaimer: If student numbers do not allow us to run a completely online or face-to-face class, then a hybrid class may need to be run. A hybrid class is one which is made up of a combination of both face to face and online students where one teacher leads both students online and face-to-face may have to be run.
To be eligible for EPPS, students must:
- Hold a conditional offer of place from the University of Auckland
- Meet the IELTS score requirements below as based on the score needed for your postgraduate programme1. IELTS Indicator can also be accepted during 2022 until further notice.
1The Academic IELTS score must have been issued within 2 years and 6 months of the EPPS commencement date. Please note this is a temporary extension from 2 years due to the Covid-19 situation.
Please note this is a sample timetable only. Your classes may run in the morning session or afternoon session.
All online classes are from 1pm to 5:15pm NZT for all levels.
- Students may commence their studies no later than the Friday of the first week of the course.
- No late starts are allowed for Summer School – students must begin on the Monday of the first week of the course.
- Students must pay the tuition fees for their Study Programme to ELA at least four (4) weeks prior to the commencement of their Study Programme, except in the following case: Students from the People’s Republic of China are not permitted to pay the tuition fees before INZ has granted “Student Visa Approval in Principle”
- Please note students taking a Pathway course will need to have their own device, i.e. laptop or tablet
- Students repeating the course need to confirm their place with the Enrolments Manager no later than the first day of the course.
- Students who have confirmed their place may commence their studies no later than the Friday of the first week of the course
Online University Pathways Programmes
Learning English online comes with many great benefits. Hear from Richelle, the ELA's Academic English and Pathways Manager, as she shares how you can still gain the English skills you need to progress into a New Zealand university with one of our Online University English Pathway Programmes.
Hear from our English university pathway (EPPS) students
Geuchbuoy (Cambodia) completed the EPPS programme and went on to pursue a Postgraduate Diploma in Politics and International Relations at The University of Auckland. Listen to how she found the pathway programme alongside living in New Zealand.