English Pathway for Postgraduate Studies (EPPS)
EPPS (10 weeks) is for students:
who hold a conditional offer for postgraduate study at the University of Auckland or other New Zealand tertiary institutions, and,
who have narrowly missed the English language requirements
Students who successfully complete this programme with the required grade, will meet the English language requirements for university study.
This short intensive programme focuses on developing the language proficiency and academic literacy needed for postgraduate studies through English. Also, students in this programme can have full access to the University of Auckland Library and learning services.
10 weeks (an accelerated 7-week1 EPPS is available in November, and the EPPS for Business Masters runs in June)
11 September 2023 – 17 November 2023 (10 weeks)
20 November 2023 – 19 January 2024 (7 weeks）
22 January – 29 March 2024 (10 weeks)
08 April – 14 June 2024 (10 weeks)
24 June – 30 August 2024 (10 weeks)
09 September – 15 November 2024 (10 weeks)
18 November 2024 – 17 January 2025 (7 weeks)
1Due to the Christmas break, the EPPS course commencing in November is typically 7 weeks long, but the course hours remain 200 hours in total.
To be eligible for EPPS, students must:
- Hold a conditional offer of place from the University of Auckland
- Meet the IELTS score requirements below as based on the score needed for your postgraduate programme1. IELTS Indicator can also be accepted during 2022 until further notice.
1The Academic IELTS score must have been issued within 2 years and 6 months of the EPPS commencement date. Please note this is a temporary extension from 2 years due to the Covid-19 situation.
Please note this is a sample timetable only. Your classes may run in the morning session or afternoon session.
All online classes are from 1 pm to 5:15 pm NZT for all levels.
- Students may commence their studies no later than the Friday of the first week of the course.
- No late starts are allowed for Summer School – students must begin on the Monday of the first week of the course.
- Students must pay the tuition fees for their Study Programme to ELA at least four (4) weeks prior to the commencement of their Study Programme, except in the following case: Students from the People’s Republic of China are not permitted to pay the tuition fees before INZ has granted “Student Visa Approval in Principle”
- Please note students taking a Pathway course will need to have their own device, i.e. laptop or tablet
- Students repeating the course need to confirm their place with the Enrolments Manager no later than the first day of the course.
- Students who have confirmed their place may commence their studies no later than the Friday of the first week of the course
University Pathways Programmes
Learning English comes with many great benefits. Listen to Lee Waddingham, the ELA's Academic Manager, as he shares how you can gain the English skills you need to progress into a New Zealand university with our University English pathway programmes.
Hear from our English university pathway (EPPS) students
Geuchbuoy (Cambodia) completed the EPPS programme and went on to pursue a Postgraduate Diploma in Politics and International Relations at The University of Auckland. Listen to how she found the pathway programme alongside living in New Zealand.