English Pathway for Undergraduate Studies (EPUS)
EPUS is ideal if you have met the academic requirements for undergraduate study at the University of Auckland, but have narrowly missed the English language requirements.
This pathway ensures you gain the English proficiency and academic literacy needed for undergraduate courses. Successfully completing the EPUS course with the required grade for your academic study programme will meet the English language requirements for entry to the University of Auckland.
For the duration of 2021, this course is being offered online (as well as face to face for students in New Zealand).
Book a free demonstration lesson of this course HERE.
10 weeks (an accelerated 7-week EPUS is available in November)
12 April – 18 June 2021 (10 weeks)
28 June – 3 September 2021 (10 weeks)
13 September – 19 November 2021 (10 weeks)
22 November – 21 January 2022 (7 weeks)
The ELA is committed to the continuation of your English language learning during this challenging Covid-19 period. To support your study goals, the ELA is pleased to offer English Pathway for Undergraduate Studies (EPUS) online. For the duration of 2021, English Pathway for Undergraduate Studies (EPUS) is available online as well as face to face for those students who are based in New Zealand.
Online EPUS classes are mix of offline activities such as discussion forum posting, and live interactive Zoom sessions on course work topics between students and tutors. Zoom sessions can sometimes be one-to-one or small group tutorials in addition to whole class activities. Your classes are from 1pm to 5.15pm* NZT for all levels.
* PLEASE NOTE: These times are local New Zealand times. NZ daylight saving ends at 3am on Sunday, April 4th (NZ time) and commences again at 2am on Sunday, September 26th. This will affect your lesson times in your home country. Please ensure you adjust your times accordingly - this link will calculate the correct time difference for you - Click here.
Technology and other learning requirements:
• Laptop or PC with Microsoft Word or other document producing capabilities and functional webcam. This is essential for Academic English and Pathway courses
• Headset/ear phones/microphone for listening/speaking/recording purposes
• Stable internet connection (recommended speed of 3Mbps)
• Designated quiet study space especially required for completing assignments/assessments
Find out why you should study an online university English pathway course with us HERE.
Frequently asked questions about our online English courses HERE.
* Disclaimer: If student numbers do not allow us to run a completely online or face-to-face class, then a hybrid class may need to be run. A hybrid class is one which is made up of a combination of both face to face and online students where one teacher leads both students online and face-to-face may have to be run.
To be eligible for EPUS, students must:
- Hold a conditional offer of place from a New Zealand tertiary institution which recognises EPUS*
- Meet the IELTS score requirements below as based on the score needed for your undergraduate programme**. IELTS Indicator can also be accepted during 2021 until further notice.
* A list of all New Zealand tertiary institutions which recognise the EPUS is available on request.
** The Academic IELTS score must have been issued within 2 years and 6 months of the EPUS commencement date. Please note this is a temporary extension from 2 years due to the Covid-19 situation.
Please note this is a sample timetable only. Your classes may run in the morning session or afternoon session.
All online classes are from 1pm to 5:15pm NZT for all levels.
- Students may commence their studies no later than the Friday of the first week of the course.
- No late starts are allowed for Summer School – students must begin on the Monday of the first week of the course.
Students must pay the tuition fees for their Study Programme to ELA at least four (4) weeks prior to the commencement of their Study Programme, except in the following case: Students from the People’s Republic of China are not permitted to pay the tuition fees before INZ has granted “Student Visa Approval in Principle”
Please note students taking a Pathway course will need to have their own device, i.e. laptop or tablet.
- Students repeating the course need to confirm their place with the Enrolments Manager no later than the first day of the course.
- Students who have confirmed their place may commence their studies no later than the Friday of the first week of the course.
Online University Pathways Programme
Learning English online comes with many great benefits. Hear from Richelle, the ELA's Academic English and Pathways Manager, as she shares how you can still gain the English skills you need to progress into a New Zealand university with one of our Online University English Pathway Programmes.
Hear from our English university pathway (EPUS) students
Huy (Vietnam) is a EPUS graduate and went on to gain direct entry into his Bachelors of Computer Science degree at The University of Auckland. He shares why he chose to study in New Zealand.