General English will help you improve your ability to communicate in English in social and work situations and progress to other ELA courses.
The course focuses on the development of communication skills with a balance of speaking, listening, reading and writing tasks. You will learn through class activities, individual, pair and small group work.
General English includes elective classes which allow you to tailor your course to meet your learning goals, as you can choose an elective class to focus on a particular subject or skills. The elective classes are dependent on level and student demand.
General English includes elective classes which allow you to tailor your course to meet your learning goals, as you can choose an elective class to focus on a particular subject or skills. The elective classes are dependent on level and student demand. They may include: Communication Skills, Business English and English for IELTS.*
- The English for IELTS elective focuses on language development, with competence in the four key IELTS test areas (writing, speaking, listening, and reading) developed during the course. This elective also builds awareness of the IELTS test format and provides practical exam skills and strategies.
- The Business English elective teaches a range of business communication skills, with a focus on practical language. Every few weeks the Business English class will take part in a project involving real-life business skills such as advertising, marketing, presenting, selling a product and writing a report.
- The Communication Skills elective focuses on developing functional listening, speaking and writing skills, covering the themes ‘Social and Travel’ and ‘Work and Study’. There are often projects connected to the themes and language from the course books.
*Electives are dependent on student levels and demands. Please contact us for more information.
Minimum enrolment of 3 weeks
2 June – 26 June 2020 (4 weeks)
29 June – 17 July 2020 (3 weeks)
20 July – 14 August 2020 (4 weeks)
17 August – 11 September 2020 (4 weeks)
14 September – 25 September 2020 (2 weeks)
28 September – 23 October 2020 (4 weeks)
27 October – 20 November 2020 (4 weeks)
23 November – 18 December 2020 (4 weeks)
Class hours per week
The ELA is committed to the continuation of your English language learning during this challenging Covid-19 period. To support your study goals, the ELA is pleased to offer General English online. Until the end of 2020, General English is available online (as well as resuming face to face classes once permitted by the New Zealand government).
Online General English classes are 20 hours per week. You will attend 10 ‘live’ sessions per week (2 sessions with different learning objectives per day). You will have a session 1 foundation skills class and a session 2 elective class, the same as you would face-to-face. You will talk with other international students, practise language and communication skills. Online sessions can be one-on-one or small group tutorials, in addition to the regular class activities. Your class time is dependent on your English level, and will either be from 8.15am to 12.30pm NZT (higher levels) or 1 to 5.15pm NZT (lower levels).
Technology and other learning requirements:
• Laptop or PC with word processing capabilities and webcam (AE and pathway courses essential)
• Headset/ear phones/mic (for listening/speaking/recording purposes)
• Stable internet connection (recommended speed of 3Mbps)
• Designated (quiet) study space, especially required for completing assignments/assessments
Find out why you should study an online General English course with us HERE.
Frequently asked questions about our online English courses HERE.
Students are tested on their first day to determine their class level. Please note that we only have General English classes at the levels in the table below:
General English Levels
You will be placed in either the Morning Session or Afternoon Session depending on your level of English. All students receive 20 hours of tuition per week. Students at higher levels of General English have two hours of elective classes per day, while students at lower levels focus on building their key language foundations in the elective class.
Students choose their elective classes upon arrival at the ELA.
2020 Course Cost:
$465/week (3-11 weeks)
$450/week (12+ weeks)
*Other fees may apply. 2021 fees subject to change.
- The minimum period required for extension is 4 weeks. Students must inform the Enrolments team of their intention to extend their study a minimum of one week before their extended course of study commences.
- Students must pay the tuition fees for their Study Programme to ELA at least four (4) weeks prior to the commencement of their course, except in the following case: Students from the People’s Republic of China are not permitted to pay the tuition fees before INZ has granted “Student Visa Approval in Principle”
Online General English Course
Santiago (Colombia) shares about his online General English course experience, and the benefits of studying online.
Hear from our General English students
Victoria (Chile) completed the General English course and successfully went on to land a role as a teaching technician in the Biological Sciences department at The University of Auckland.