General English will help you improve your ability to communicate in English in social and work situations and progress to other ELA courses.
The course focuses on the development of communication skills with a balance of speaking, listening, reading and writing tasks. You will learn through class activities, individual, pair and small group work.
General English includes elective classes which allow you to tailor your course to meet your learning goals, as you can choose an elective class to focus on a particular subject or skills. The elective classes are dependent on level and student demand.
Minimum enrolment of 3 weeks
Please see below link for the new 2019 intake dates:
2019 – New General English structure
Class hours per week
General English includes elective classes which allow you to tailor your course to meet your learning goals, as you can choose an elective class to focus on a particular subject or skills. The elective classes are dependent on level and student demand. They may include: Communication Skills, Business English and English for IELTS.*
- The English for IELTS elective focuses on language development, with competence in the four key IELTS test areas (writing, speaking, listening, and reading) developed during the course. This elective also builds awareness of the IELTS test format and provides practical exam skills and strategies.
- The Business English elective teaches a range of business communication skills, with a focus on practical language. Every few weeks the Business English class will take part in a project involving real-life business skills such as advertising, marketing, presenting, selling a product and writing a report.
- The Communication Skills elective focuses on developing functional listening, speaking and writing skills, covering the themes ‘Social and Travel’ and ‘Work and Study’. There are often projects connected to the themes and language from the course books.
- Students are tested on their first day to determine their class level.
- Please note that we do not run classes for students at Starter/Beginner level. Students who do not meet the minimum entry standard in the ELA Placement Test will not be admitted to the course and will be given a refund.
2018 Course Cost:
$450/week (3-11 weeks)
$435/week (12+ weeks)
2019 Course Cost:
$455/week (3-11 weeks)
$440/week (12+ weeks)
Other costs & dates: ELA Dates & Fees
- The minimum period required for extension is 4 weeks. Students must inform the Enrolments team of their intention to extend their study a minimum of one week before their extended course of study commences.
- Students must pay the tuition fees for their Study Programme to ELA at least four (4) weeks prior to the commencement of their course, except in the following case: Students from the People’s Republic of China are not permitted to pay the tuition fees before INZ has granted “Student Visa Approval in Principle”
“I chose to study at the ELA because I wanted a professional and focused English language course. The teachers here have taught me skills to continue learning by myself in future, and they use different methods such as online technology to share useful content and links. Studying here has been a more complete way to improve my English.”
Anna Rosenfeld Vilalta, Catalonia