General English will help you improve your ability to communicate in English in social and work situations and progress to other ELA courses.
The course focuses on the development of communication skills with a balance of speaking, listening, reading, and writing tasks. You will learn through class activities, individual, pair, and small group work.
General English includes elective classes that allow you to tailor your course to meet your learning goals, as you can choose an elective class to focus on a particular subject or skill. The elective classes are dependent on the level and student demand.
Online General English is available from the 15th February 2021. Fixed start dates apply. For information and specific dates please contact us
General English includes elective classes that allow you to tailor your course to meet your learning goals, as you can choose an elective class to focus on a particular subject or skill. The elective classes are dependent on the level and student demand. They may include: Communication Skills, Business English and English for IELTS.*
- The English for IELTS elective focuses on language development, with competence in the four key IELTS test areas (writing, speaking, listening, and reading) developed during the course. This elective also builds awareness of the IELTS test format and provides practical exam skills and strategies.
- The Business English elective teaches a range of business communication skills, with a focus on practical language. Every few weeks the Business English class will take part in a project involving real-life business skills such as advertising, marketing, presenting, selling a product and writing a report.
- The Communication Skills elective focuses on developing functional listening, speaking and writing skills, covering the themes ‘Social and Travel’ and ‘Work and Study’. There are often projects connected to the themes and language from the course books.
*Electives are dependent on student levels and demands. Please contact us for more information.
Minimum enrolment of 3 weeks
Class hours per week
Hear from one of our General English graduates
Victoria (Chile) completed the General English course and successfully went on to land a role as a teaching technician in the Biological Sciences department at The University of Auckland.
The ELA is committed to the continuation of your English language learning during this challenging Covid-19 period. To support your study goals, the ELA is pleased to offer General English online.
General English online will help students to improve their ability to communicate in English in social and work situations and can act as a bridge to other ELA courses. The 4-week course focuses on the development of communication skills with a balance of speaking, listening, reading and writing tasks. General English also provides students with skills for real life purposes such as making enquiries, and applying for work or academic studies.
Classes will include:
- A wide range of online/offline learning interactions; discussion forums, pair and group work in 'breakout rooms', shared document collaboration and collaborative projects which include research outside the classroom
Individualised tutoring and feedback on progress at different points of the course with easy access to virtual academic counselling by appointment
- Modern and quality tested study platforms via Zoom and Canvas (our learning management system) to ensure a fully integrated learning experience
Technology and learning requirements:
- Laptop or PC with Microsoft Word or other document producing capabilities and functional webcam.
- Headset/ear phones/microphone for listening/speaking/recording purposes
- Stable internet connection (recommended speed of 3Mbps)
- Designated quiet study space especially required for completing assignments/assessments
Students may be integrated according to their English level and will learn with other students from a range of backgrounds and nationalities.
Please note that due to COVID-19 the range of student nationalities may be limited.
Find out why you should study an online General English course with us HERE.
Frequently asked questions about our online English courses HERE.
Students are tested on their first day to determine their class level. Please note that we only have General English classes at the levels in the table below:
General English Levels
Please note the minimum entry level for GE is Elementary (CEFR level A1, IELTS 3.5 or TOEFL iBT 20)
Please note this is a sample timetable only. All online classes are from 1pm to 5:15pm NZT for all levels.
You will be placed in either the Morning Session or Afternoon Session depending on your level of English. All students receive 20 hours of tuition per week. Students at higher levels of General English have two hours of elective classes per day, while students at lower levels focus on building their key language foundations in the elective class.
Students choose their elective classes upon arrival at the ELA.
2021 Course Cost:
$475/week (3-11 weeks)
$460/week (12+ weeks)
*Other fees may apply. 2021 fees subject to change.
- The minimum period required for extension is 4 weeks. Students must inform the Enrolments team of their intention to extend their study a minimum of one week before their extended course of study commences.
- Students must pay the tuition fees for their Study Programme to ELA at least four (4) weeks prior to the commencement of their course, except in the following case: Students from the People’s Republic of China are not permitted to pay the tuition fees before INZ has granted “Student Visa Approval in Principle